Black Bean and Papaya Salsa
(Salsas, Sambals, Chutneys & Chowchows)
- 1 cup cooked or canned black beans
- 2 ripe papayas, peeled, seeded, and diced small
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced small
- 1/2 red onion, diced small
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice (about four limes)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon (or to taste) minced fresh chile pepper of your choice (I used 11/2 jalapeños)
- salt and black pepper to taste
Put ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well. This salsa will keep, covered and refrigerated for 4 to 5 days.
Variations: We tried making this with kiwis and a little less lime juice - the kiwis were slightly more sour than usual - and it came out quite nicely.