Charred Tomato Table Salsa
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 3 jalapeños
- 1 small white onion, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic with skins on
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 1/2 cup water - or as necessary for consistency
- salt to taste
Pan-roast in a dry pan, individually, the following ingredients in the following ways:
- the tomatoes until blistered, black, and soft
- jalapeños until charred, blistered and black
- white onion until dark brown and soft
- and the garlic until brown and soft, then peel the skins off
Chop these ingredients by hand or process in food processor until you get a coarsely-textured salsa. Sprinkle in the oregano, cumin, and salt. Thin the consistency with water, if necessary.
This salsa will keep up to four days in the refrigerator, but tastes best at room temperature.