- 1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and boiled until very soft or 1 15-oz. can of chickpeas
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- dash of tamari (or omit salt altogether and just add a little more tamari)
- juice of 2 medium lemons
- 3/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 packed cup finely minced fresh parsley
- lots of freshly ground black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
The Hard Way: Spend a long time mashing chickpeas to a smooth consistency by hand. Then mix in rest of the prepared ingredients. Adjust flavors to taste.
The Easy Way: Throw everything into a food processor and blend until it has a smooth consistency, adjust flavors to taste.