Tofu “Egg” Salad
(Vegetarian Times 9/91)
- 1/2 lb. firm tofu, drained and diced (the fresher and firmer the better)
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely shredded
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley and/or cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon chopped dill pickle
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise or soy mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: finely chopped fresh jalapeño pepper, to taste
- optional: minced celery, to taste
- optional: prepared horseradish, to taste
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss together well. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Goes well in pita pockets with lettuce. Has a tendency to roll off the sides of a regular bread sandwich, particularly when made with firmer tofu.