(Still Life With Menu)
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 8-inch parsnip, cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled or scrubbed and cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, cut into chunks
- 8 - 10 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions
- a handful of button mushrooms, cleaned and stems trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- black pepper to taste
Combine everything in a large kettle. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and partially cover.
Cook slowly for about 1 1/4 hours. Turn off the heat and let cool to room temperature. Strain out and discard the vegetables.
Heat broth gently before serving.